Monday, October 3, 2011

Can You Spare a Spear? Of Broccoli That Is.

It's good to be back!  I had to take a leave of absence to learn what blogging was really about.  A good friend of mine asked "Do you know what a blog is?"  I answered, "Yes, to write about something."  He told me, "No, it's you wrtiting about your life."  Wow.  Here I am ready to take the cyber world by storm and I was going about it the wrong way.  Forgive me, fellow bloggers and cyber world inhabitants, I did not do my due diligence.  Well, I prayed, I studied and I learned about blogging.  And now I'm ready to share my own experience with the organic and natural way of living.  First task - seasonal foods.


Eating foods that are seasonal can benefit everyone.  I know it saves me money because there is more product available.  And there are more nutrients because the product doesn't have to travel so far when it is in season.  I also heard that local seasonal foods are even better - I haven't gotten that far in the learning process, but when I do, I will definitely give my insight!  According to the seasonal food chart on Frugal for Life http://frugalforlife.blogspot.com/2009/03/random-linkage-seasonal-food-chart.html, October is the last month to enjoy Broccoli before it goes out of season.

Broccoli is considered a Super Food and is well known for it's cancer figthing properties.  My grandmother died of breast cancer when I was 10 and Mama Bear, a woman who was like a mother to me, to breast cancer when I was 22.  I owe it to them as well as everyone that has lost a battle with cancer and to those who have won the battle and survived to make better food choices and live a healthier lifestyle.  According to Dr. T. Murray from the Dr. Oz site http://www.sharecare.com/question/health-benefits-of-eating-broccoli, broccoli has numerous compounds that are helpful in fighting cancer - in particularly breast cancer.  Another great tip - Broccoli does not have to be purchased organic.  It falls on The Daily Green's foods that don't have to be eaten organic list:  http://www.thedailygreen.com/healthy-eating/eat-safe/Save-on-Sustainable-Gallery-44032808.  I know what you're thinking - "What?!  The Organics Sense site is promoting not eating something organic?"  Remember, the goal is to make sensible choices and live an AFFORDABLE healthy lifestyle.  If God has blessed us with a food that is not easily contaminated, why not enjoy it!  Why pay more for something you don't have to.  Just a thought...

October is a month of great holidays, also.  Today is World Smile Day. According to  Associated Content's article - http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/1022438/little_known_holidays_in_october_pg2.html?cat=25  this holiday is celebrated by doing something to make another person smile.  Hmmmm, what can I do? I will inform at least 10 women today about the anti-cancer properties of broccoli.  First woman, my mom.  I am going to call her today and thank her for telling me how good raw broccoli is on salads.  I had never tried it until she told me about it. I'm sure that compliment will bring a smile to her face!  For once I'll be praising her food choice instead of telling her what not to eat! 

Please, feel free to post what you plan to do or have already done to celebrate World Smile Day!  And, start incorporating broccoli into your meals.  We have 28 more days (including today) to enjoy this Super Food while it is in season!

No comments:

Post a Comment