Tuesday, October 9, 2012

D is for Dandelion

Dandelion.  That weed that seems to pop up in our yard and is so hard to get rid of.  But had we known it has healing properties, we may have thought twice before getting rid of the popular misunderstood pest.

Believe it or not, Dandelion has cancer fighting properties.  According to Livestrong.com, "The U.S. National Library of Medicine (USNLM) site also indicates that dandelion is used to treat these conditions: cancer, colitis, diabetes and hepatitis B." - http://www.livestrong.com/article/159053-dandelion-root-vs-dandelion-leaf/#ixzz28oVjqWq3.  Another Livestrong.com article credits Dandelion for helping numerous types of cancers - http://www.livestrong.com/article/379095-dandelion-herb-for-cancer/
 
I use Dandelion Leaves in my smoothies.  I blend them with other leaves, beets, carrots, ginger and lemon; put them into ice cube trays and freeze them.  I grab six of them each morning and blend with some fruit and maple syrup and whatever herbs/spices I have a taste for to have a great, healthy smoothie.  I like putting them into ice cubes and blending them later because the "mushy" texture is removed.  When I would blend my leaves with fruit, I didn't particularly like the "mushy" texture.
 
Does anyone else have a Dandelion recipe to share? 

No comments:

Post a Comment