Monday, January 27, 2014

Homemade Chicken Tenders

This is my first attempt at making homemade chicken tenders. I found a recipe three years ago from Shape magazine.  I rip out interesting pages from my magazine collection and file just in case I want to try it or need it for something else.  I am SOOOOOO glad I snatched this recipe!  The tenders were great.  My mom even liked them and she is NOT an advocate for going the healthy route on her fave fried foods. 


I adjusted the recipe slightly from the Shape one.  I will put in parenthesis what Shape suggests. I am on Instagram - organicssense.  Check out my picture - I don't know how to save the Instagram pictures to my phone.  What I wouldn't give to have a geek squad employee as my bestie! LOL!!!




CHICKEN FINGERS WITH MUSTARD DIPPING SAUCE
Shape magazine February 2011


Chicken Fingers recipe


8 tenders
1 tblspn Dijon mustard
2 tblspn safflower mayo (light mayo)
1/4 tspn garlic powder
1 1/2 tspn grapeseed oil (canola oil)
1 cup whole wheat panko (1/2 cup panko)
1/4 cup almonds (walnuts)
2 tblspn almond meal (wheat germ)
2 tblspn pecorino (parmesan)
1/4 tspn sea salt (kosher salt)
1/4 tspn fresh ground pepper
**cooking spray is suggested by Shape but I did not use


Dipping Sauce recipe
3 tblspn safflower mayo (light mayo)
2 tblspn mustard (grainy mustard)
2 tblspn raw honey (honey)
1 tblspn Dijon mustard
1 tspn fresh lemon juice
salt and pepper to taste
***I added poppy seeds and a little apple cider vinegar


Preheat oven to 425F.
Combine mustard, mayo and garlic powder in shallow dish.
Add tenders and coat well. 
Set aside.
***I put in fridge to get cold.  Mixture stayed better and wasn't as messy to roll in "crunch" mixture.


Pour oil in skillet (I use iron skillet but Shape suggested nonstick skillet) and heat over medium.
Add panko and toast for 3-4 minutes, stirring often, until crumbs are golden.
Transfer to different shallow dish than mayo mixture.


Chop almonds (Shape suggested toasting walnuts and then chopping.  I didn't do this)
Add panko, almond meal, pecorino, salt and pepper.
Toss well.


Set wire rack over large baking sheet.
Spray lightly with cooking spray (I didn't use cooking spray)
Dredge chicken in crunch mixture and arrange on rack.
Spray chicken lightly with cooking spray (I didn't do this)
Bake for 12 minutes or until cooked thoroughly.
****After 12 minutes, I broiled on high for 1 minute on each side of tender to give it an extra crunch.


While chicken is baking, combine dipping sauce ingredients in bowl.






No comments:

Post a Comment